Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce
2021 CITIZEN OF THE YEAR
Criteria & Nomination form
The Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce is now taking nominations for the 2021 Citizen of the Year. An impartial committee will evaluate finalists. The winner will be honored during the Chamber's Annual Meeting in 2022.
Nominees should have clearly demonstrated leadership and hard work that have made Mount Airy/Surry County a better place in which to live and work. Careers of nominees should be in the areas of business, industry and public service BUT are not limited to these career areas. Executives or employees of non-profit organizations, elected officials or candidates for elected office and individuals who have previously held elected office are ALL eligible.
Specific criteria include:
1. Candidate is a VISIONARY – able to assess external and internal forces likely to significantly influence Surry County’s future and identify actions needed to manage these forces to maximum benefit.
2. Candidate is a LEADER – not only through his/her hard work, but also through the ability to motivate others to become involved to improve Surry County.
3. Candidate is HIGHLY RESPECTED – one who is fair, ethical, and honest in dealings with others, one who has a likeable and friendly personality, and is admired for those qualities
4. Candidate is a STRONG SUPPORTER OF EDUCATION at every level – one who is involved in improving educational opportunities for all and is actively involved in one or more education initiatives with a leadership position in at least one.
5. Candidate is an AMBASSADOR for business/industry and economic development -- involved in efforts to increase commercial and/or economic development.
6. CHAMBER CONNECTION: Candidate should have track records of ongoing involvement (either by membership or on committee, etc.) in the Greater Mount Airy Chamber of Commerce.
7. COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT: Candidate should be active in community organizations such as United Fund of Surry County, Mountain Valley Hospice, civic club, PTA, The Shepherd’s House, etc.