But what does it take to read for understanding? Research shows that strong readers use a battery of strategies before, during, and after reading to make sense of texts. They preview and predict in advance. They monitor their comprehension along the way. And they reflect on their thinking after reading.
In this online academy, Dr. Harvey Silver, Joyce Jackson, and Susan Kreisman will show you how to help all students read more actively and build deeper understanding of content. Not only for teachers of reading, this academy is for every educator—in any discipline and grade level—who is looking to build the kind of deep-reading skills that enhance classroom learning and promote higher achievement.
These sessions will be packed with ready-to-use tools that work with all kinds of texts and are easy to integrate into your current lessons and units. In this academy, you will . . .
- Learn the critical connections between two key bodies of research: proficient-reader behaviors and executive function.
- Use a good-reader strength chart to focus in on critical reading skills and strategies.
- Learn a set of comprehension-boosting tools and strategies.
- Use a simple planning framework* for building literacy skills into your lessons and units. (*Framework featured in the December/January issue of ASCD's Educational Leadership)
- Reflect on current practice and target areas for strategic improvement.
Each participant completing the academy will receive a
Thoughtful Classroom Certificate of Completion
for a total of six (6) professional learning hours
- PLUS -
3 MONTHS of ACCESS to the NEW
Improving Reading Comprehension Online Learning Suite