[Proposed belvedere design: south elevation]
WHY WE ARE OPPOSED TO THE BELVEDERE (GAZEBO)
- The findings required for the permits and other local regulations cannot be made:
- The belvedere will undermine and block public views to and along the ocean.
- The Belvedere blocks the public view of the Historically Designated Surf Shack.
- The belvedere will negatively impact the City’s Multiple Habitat Planning Area (MHPA), which contains environmentally sensitive lands.
- The Local Coastal Program requires directing roof and surface drainage away from the bluff and the roof of the belvedere clearly drains toward the bluff face.
- The Land Development Manual requires analysis of the state of the bluff over the next 75 years, and this has not been provided.
- Council Policy (CP) 700-07 requires a preliminary General Development Plan (GDP) for the park be adopted by the City Council in order for the City to participate in improvements funded by private money. To the best of PWBA’s knowledge, no GDP has been formed for the Windansea Beach.
2.Crime, nuisance, alcohol drug parties, which were cited by residents about a previous belvedere (gazebo) at this location in the 1980’s.
3.Not maintained previously this antiquated structure became a neighbourhood eyesore and the rotten structure came down.
4.Digging down into the bluff 2-3 feet to construct the Gazebo is counter to Coastal Commission demands that Shoreline Bluffs should erode naturally. This new structure will increase erosion through watershed and disruption of the bluff.
5.We believe the focus should be on an overall cohesive design plan for Windansea Beach Park which has been mis-managed for the last 20 years. Windansea Beach Park currently has 5 different fencing designs, misplaced benches, poorly placed signage, trash cans and benches that are sliding off the bluff, all of which creates a public safety hazard.
6.The effects of Climate Change dictate we build no new structures on this natural and unique beach. This is a very dynamic beach in terms of wave erosion.
7.There Is no space for handicap parking to support such a new build.
8.The belvedere (gazebo) is NOT historical and no belvedere (gazebo) in La Jolla is historically designated by the City of San Diego or the State of California.
9.During continued COVID restrictions we do not need a small public space that encourages people to gather together and will require daily cleaning and maintenance.
10.The belvedere (gazebo) structures can be found in abundance in the village of La Jolla. The photos attached show these structures are used by vendors and the homeless. Many of these structures sit precariously on the eroding bluffs presenting a public safety hazard. (see attached photos).
WHAT WE HAVE DONE SO FAR
- Collected almost 1000 opposing votes (signatures & letters).
- Reached out numerous times, via letter, telephone and intermediaries to Friends of Windansea leadership to seek inclusion and compromise on this project. PWBA were rejected each and every time.
- Sought advice and counsel from the City of San Diego, Great Ecology and Andrea Rosati/Land Use Attorney.
- Raised funds for an Overall Plan for Windansea without the Gazebo
- Appealed CEQA exemption determination. City staff determined the Project is exempt under CEQA under the categorical exemption for “New Construction or Conversion of Small Structures.” This exemption does not apply where the project will be carried out on environmentally sensitive lands. The Windansea bluff is considered environmentally sensitive lands. CEQA prohibits using this exemption.
- PWBA has raised funds from local and City residents at large, who oppose the building of the belvedere (gazebo). These funds are substantial and would be donated to the City to fund an Overall Plan to renovate Windansea shoreline.
- The native landscaping, and natural habitat have been deteriorating due to the poor landscape designs of the past, due to the poor placement of barrier fencing designs and benches. Our Plan would repair the natural habitat.
- We prefer the funds we have raised go to Windansea Improvements versus legal fees to continue to fight this permit application.
- When the original belvedere (gazebo) was built there were very few homes in the vicinity. Dense home development now exists, climate change is impactful and we need to protect our shoreline bluffs for public use, which our proposal will do.
ABOUT PRESERVE WINDANSEA BEACH ASSOCIATION
Preserve Windansea Beach Association was formed in early 2021 by Windansea residents concerned about the current public safety issues at Windansea Shoreline and Beach Park. We launch campaigns to address public safety issues and are committed to the long term preservation and sustainability of this natural shoreline and beach park, with iconic open vistas, for all to enjoy.
Our first campaign, to stop private groups building structures like Gazebos on the public Windansea shoreline, quickly gained support in the community. We received more than 100 letters opposing the construction of the Gazebo in two months. Our ongoing “Stop The Gazbo” petition is approaching 1000 signatures. We raised $20,000 to pay Great Ecology to conduct a Biological Study, create a formal presentation to City Officials and cover legal fees. This campaign is still ongoing.
Preserve Windansea is growing and our members include Windansea residents, La Jollans and San Diegans who visit Windansea Shoreline and Beach to recreate and enjoy its open unobstructed vistas and epic sunsets. Please join Us. Click here to join our email list and receive updates.
LINKS & HOW TO CONTACT US:
Sign Petition https://www.change.org/Stopgazebo
Newsletter Signup: http://bit.ly/windanseasignup