Citizens Memorial Hospital is celebrating 40 years in business. The hospital opened its doors Sept. 28, 1982, as a 53-bed not-for-profit Hospital District.
CMH began with three physicians on staff and 90 employees. The services offered at that time included emergency care, intensive care, obstetrics, surgery and recovery, medical-surgical care, laboratory, radiology, physical therapy, respiratory care and an auxiliary. More than 5,000 community members attended the grand opening celebration.
Today we have around 2,100 employees and serve more than 136,000 residents in our eight-county service area. The hospital and foundation comprise 50 locations. Services include family medicine and specialty clinics, outpatient surgery, long-term care and residential care, emergency medical services, home care and pharmacies.
After 40 years, our commitment to provide high-quality health care close to home remains the same. Our recently announced $77,750,000 expansion and upgrade project will include:
- Medical/Surgical: Transitioning all rooms from semi-private to private, increasing pediatric rooms from one to six, and increasing ICU beds from eight to twelve.
- Surgery: Adding a third operating room and shell of a room that could house a fourth operating room in the future.
- Emergency Room: Increasing beds from twelve to twenty-one and adding of a six-bed unit designed specifically for behavioral health patients.
- Cardiac Cath: Constructing two cardiac catheter units and replacing the current modular unit to support planned growth in the cardiology department.
- Laboratory: Consolidating off-site location due to growth in tests performed in recent years.
- Cafeteria and Dietary: Expanding for an improved experience for patients and visitors.
- Facilities: Upgrades to ventilation, filtration, air handling, boilers, chillers, water heaters, medical vacuum pumps, and fire alarms.
Thank you for trusting Citizens Memorial Hospital! We look forward to the next 40 years together!